People and pets beware because a blue-green algae has been surfacing in the Charles and it is potentially toxic. The algae is also here a few weeks earlier than it usually comes. The algae, called aphanizomenom, resembles green strands of silly string or green paint. It has been primarily spotted by the MIT boathouse an signs have been posted to warn people of the potential dangers. The algae is capable of producing toxins, but does not always produce them, so testing is currently underway. Approximately one dog death a year is caused from this algae. While the river is not closed, people should still take caution and avoid ingestion. People should also wash any exposed body part that has been in contact with the water. Full story here.